Cell Phone Service – QUALCOMM Applauds End Of Selective Availability For GPS
QUALCOMM Incorporated, pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access digital wireless technology, today endorsed the decision by the president to discontinue the policy, known as Selective Availability, of intentional degradation of Global Positioning System signals.
This decision reinforces the support for GPS as the technology of choice for public safety and commercial applications, and will further promote the broad commercial use of GPS by businesses and consumers around the world. In addition, the decision will provide the means for U.S. wireless carriers to meet the FCC's E9-1-1 wireless safety mandate.
A White House official pointed out that GPS could become the method of choice for implementing enhanced emergency calling services for cellular phone users, stating that: The FCC will soon require that all new cellular phones be equipped with more accurate location determination technology to improve responses to emergency 9-1-1 calls.
Removing Selective Availability will boost the accuracy of GPS to such a degree that it could become the method of choice for implementing the 9-1-1 requirement. A GPS-based solution might be simpler and more economical than alternative techniques such as radio tower triangulation, leading to lower consumer costs.
Enhanced wireless 9-1-1 is a critical issue today for wireless phone users. In the U.S., more than 100,000 wireless 9-1-1 calls are made every day by people in need. Because they've been injured or are lost or confused, some 40 percent of callers using wireless phones are unable to tell a dispatcher their location. GPS-enabled cellular phones could solve this problem and help millions of wireless users.
The end of Selective Availability will enhance the performance of QUALCOMM's multimode high precision gpsOne and SnapTrack Wireless Assisted GPS system when operating in standalone mode. QUALCOMM's gpsOne and WAG solution offers the following key benefits:
* Works in all terrain: indoors, outdoors, rural and urban · Requires no expensive cell site modifications or deployment
* Operates wherever a caller goes, inside or outside of a wireless network
* Offers high availability support for applications and a complete safety net
* Enables safety, convenience, productivity and entertainment applications in a highly integrated, low-cost solution with very little impact on a phone's size, weight or power consumption
* Only completely integrated system proven to work with all wireless formats, including CDMA, 3G, GSM, PDC, PHS, TDMA, iDEN, analog, pagers, satellite and radio, and that offers both baseband and RF solutions for CDMA
With the integration of gpsOne and WAG into QUALCOMM products such as the MSM3300 multimedia CDMA chipset and into similar products on other air interfaces, cell phone users will be able to use GPS-enhanced cell phones to get directions, find points of interest, safeguard loved ones, and get help faster through enhanced emergency services.
Prateek Morgan contributes and publishes news editorial to http://www.cellular-camera-phones.com.
Great information on cellular camera phones plus phone plans, options and accessories for all brand names.